The University City
Maryland Avenue and Westmoreland Drive, from Big Bend west to Jackson, form University City's newest National Register Historic District, significant for its spacious design and distinguished architecture. The history of the neighborhood and the styles of the houses are described in this 40-page booklet.
Distinguished by its collection of shingle houses, this small L-shaped district on the edge of Clayton includes the east side of the 200 block of Linden, three houses on Kingsbury at the north end of Linden, and the frame house at 469 North Hanley. Each house is illustrated and described in this 20-page booklet.
The symbolic center of University City, including the City Hall and Lion Gates, is a formal plaza conceived and built by the city's creative founder, E. G. Lewis. Described and illustrated in this booklet are 15 buildings around the Plaza, many of which are listed on the national Register of Historic Places.
The streets of Pershing, Waterman and Kingsbury (south side) east of Big Bend, as well as Melville and University Drive, comprise one of University City's early private places. Laid out by Lucy Semple Ames in 1914, it was developed in the late teens and twenties. Famous residents were Tennessee Williams and Tom Dooley. This booklet includes the construction dates, architects and all owners through 1991 of each house in the subdivision.
University City's five Jewish cemeteries are an important feature in the city's landscape and cultural history, beginning in 1855. The handsome gates also contribute to the city's architectural richness. Each gate is illustrated by artist Pat Hays Baer. Presented in this 32-page booklet is the history of the cemeteries, as well as their relationship to the Jewish community in St. Louis.
A brief history of one of the city's most beautiful neighborhoods. The private subdivision of winding drives and rolling hills was laid out in 1923 by Cyrus Crane Willmore. This 16-page booklet includes a map and list of all houses with their dates, architects and first owners.
The Cemeteries of
Copyright 2023. U-City Historical Society. All rights reserved